A different kind of company. A leader in custom automation equipment.
Isthmus Engineering & Manufacturing is a worker-owned cooperative specializing in custom automation solutions and equipment. At Isthmus, we know that the success of our employee-owned company is contingent on the performance of every member of the Isthmus team. You have our promise that the automation equipment we provide will be the result of the very best efforts of our entire staff.
Worker cooperatives are organizations that are designed to pool the resources of individuals or businesses to achieve a common goal.
Isthmus Engineering is an industrial worker cooperative. Worker cooperatives are a cooperative in which the members are the working staff. Management decisions are made democratically: one member – one vote. Each member shares in the responsibility of managing the business.
Seven Co-op Principles
Isthmus Engineering is a proud and active member of the following cooperative organizations:
- NCBA – the National Cooperative Business Associaton
- USFWC – the US Federation of Worker Cooperatives
- MadWorC.- Madison Worker Cooperatives
- National Cooperative Business Association
- Learn More About Worker’s Cooperatives
- National Co-op Bank
- U.S. Federation of Workers’ Cooperatives
- International Co-operative Alliance
- International Organization of Industrial, Artisanal and Service Producers’ Co-operatives
- University of Wisconsin Center for Cooperatives
- Grassroots Economic Organizing
- Network of Bay Area Worker Cooperatives
- North Country Cooperative Development Fund
- A Guide to Cooperative Employee Ownership
Did you know?
Isthmus was named for Madison's downtown, which is on an actual isthmus.